Friday, April 13, 2007

The Passenger


Another of Cezary Stulgis' commissioned works is at 540 Queen Street. Entitled The Passenger it was sculpted in 2003. Created from welded mild steel with a stainless steel background, the represented figure to me is your classic everyman riding the train either too or from work. On closer inspection, you find that it is actually an original Brisbane City Council bus window which has been used.

Located on Queen Street at the base of Willahra Tower, I can only begin to imagine how many people either drive or walk past this figure each work day. I bet if they're feeling a little blue from sitting in traffic they think, "Well, at least I'm not standing on a bus/train like that guy!" The furrowed brow, slightly pursed lips, and well worn suitcase suggest a man well travelled - although we're left to ponder if this is another of life's circuitous journeys, or a different path to another adventure again. I'm also reminded of the song about apartheid, Passengers, by Elton John from the 80's everytime I see this work.

David, over at Brisbane is Home has already featured this particular sculpture. Its great to see that I'm not the only one appreciating these fine works of art throughout our great city. I can't help but quote Cezary again by taking these words from his own site... "As public art, figurative sculpture is a truly magnificent way of embracing our humanity and reflecting upon our culture."

Cheers, I Love Brisbane, Wes.

Click Here for the Google Map Reference for this post.

No comments: