Friday, January 14, 2011

Brisbane Flood Disaster - Personal Perspectives 1



I feel its appropriate to reflect on the Flooding from a personal perspective. As I have said, I was fortunate in both my personal and work life to have not been directly affected by the floods. I know many, however, who have. I will attempt to record some of their stories on this blog, and if you have a story you wish to share, just drop me a line.

From my own perspective, after the main flood peak on Thursday, I went to my workplace to see if there was any cleanup required. Our offices had been sandbagged in Eagle Farm, but fortunately the drainage system in the area held and no water came into the office park. Once we were assured things were ok we went to have a look at the river from Hamilton.


At the actual riverside, the river was fast flowing and full of debris. The ever present silt and dark brown cover meant visibility in the water was non existent. Someone had obviously been on the shoreline and attempted to clean up some of the debris, creating this small pile.



From Hamilton Hill, and below, the streets around Hamilton and Albion had localised flooding. A common site around Brisbane this week has been "tinnies" on the roadways. In some flooded areas either these, jetskis or canoes have been the only method of getting into the areas. Sandbags are also another common site.

On returning home, I was again greeted by details of the flooding throughout the city, but in particular within the City itself. Areas where I used to walk were now well underwater. City intersections covered in the slick mud will be the order of the day as the River water recedes. There is a large excavation area on Mary Street, which became a 30 meter deep pool. The images speak for themselves.





Please, if you can, I urge you to donate to the Queensland Flood Relief on the Queensland government website.

Cheers, I Love Brisbane, Wes.

Click Here for the Google Map Reference for this post (Hamilton).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is great article, sharing more :)